Wells House sits on the east side of the Wenatchee campus. The house is owned by the Wells House Committee, a volunteer group of alumni and friends that improved and took care of the house for 30 years. The house is managed by Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center.
The old mansion was deeded to the Wells House Committee in the mid-1970s when the state fire marshal ruled that it was unsafe for classrooms and the college determined that repairs were too costly.
Wells House was built in 1909 by pioneer promoter W. T. Clark and became known as “Clark’s Cobblestone Castle." Mrs. Clark designed the house, including the leaded, stained-glass apple windows and the thick walls of hand-hewn stone from the Columbia River.
In 1919 A.Z. Wells purchased the house and resided there with his wife, Imogene, until 1949, when they agreed to deed their estate for the Wenatchee Junior College campus. In 1973 the house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Since then, community volunteers have spent thousands of hours repairing and maintaining the building.
The college, the Wells House Committe, and the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center are exploring options for Wells House with the goal of preserving the house for future generations.
Wells House is available to rent for community events, weddings, receptions and parties on a limited basis. Contact Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center to arrange a showing or for further information at 509.888.6240.