000.210 RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES POLICY
A. STATE LAW
The constitution of the state of Washington states:
- Article I, Section 11 ‑ "...No public money or property shall be appropriated for or applied to any religious worship, exercise or instruction, or to the support of any religious establishment..."
- Article IX, Section 4 ‑ "All schools maintained or supported wholly or in part by
the public funds shall be forever free from sectarian influence and control."
The Washington Supreme Court has indicated that the adjective "religious" as used in these constitutional provisions applies to activities which are nonsectarian and nondenominational as well as those that are sectarian or denominational.
B. DISTRICT INVOLVEMENT
Wenatchee Valley College recognizes the influence of religious life and faith upon our society and the importance of the study of the world's great religious teachings, along with other ethical principles, in fully educating men and women for effective life in that society.
- Within the requirements of the law, Wenatchee Valley College extends the use of its name and facilities to voluntary student religious organizations for their social, educational, and recreational functions subject to the provisions of the student constitution and bylaws.
- The prohibition against the use of public money for "religious worship, exercise, or instruction" applies to indirect as well as direct use of such funds.
- Student religious organizations may not receive an ASWVC subsidy.
- Meetings of student religious organizations may be held on the campus.
- Speakers may not be legally invited into scheduled classes for "religious worship, exercise, or instruction".
Adopted by the board of trustees: 4/11/01
Last reviewed: __/__/__
Policy contact: Administrative Services
Related policies and procedures
000.190 Expressive Activities Policy
000.300 Freedom of Inquiry and Expression Policy