Classified Information Technology Professional Structure Evaluation
1540.140 CLASSIFIED INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PROFESSIONAL STRUCTURE EVALUATION PROCEDURE
In accordance with WAC 357-13-058, this procedure outlines the framework by which information technology positions are evaluated. The administrative processes in this framework are to be used in conjunction with Wenatchee Valley College’s classification and compensation policies to administer the information technology professional structure (ITPS) within the college. For a position to be included in the ITPS, the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position must meet the criteria for inclusion as outlined in the IT Evaluator’s Handbook. Use of a standard form developed by the OFM State Human Resources Director for IT positions, or an alternate form approved by the Director, is used for requests to establish or reevaluate ITPS positions.
B. NEW POSITIONS
When a new position is being established, the following must be followed:
- The supervisor of the position completes a classified staff IT position description (available on the HR website) ensuring the assigned duties, responsibilities and competencies are accurately reflected.
- The supervisor signs the position description, attaches the current organization chart and forwards it to the director of information technology or designee.
- The director of information technology will review the request for establishment. If the request is upheld, the director of information technology will sign and forward to the HR office for processing.
- The ITPS coordinator reviews the information for completeness and convenes a meeting of the ITPS evaluation committee.
C. POSITION REVIEW (Employer-Initiated):
When an existing position is being reviewed for a possible reallocation by the employer, the following must be followed:
- When duties of an existing ITPS position change, the supervisor updates the IT position description. If the position is filled, the supervisor will request input from the incumbent ensuring the assigned duties and responsibilities as well as competencies are accurately reflected. The supervisor and employee (if filled) sign the position description, attach the current organization chart and other required documentation and forward to the director of information technology or designee.
- The director of information technology will review the request. If the request is deemed appropriate, the director of information technology will sign the position description and forward all documentation to the HR office for review by the ITPS coordinator.
- The ITPS coordinator reviews the information for completeness and determines whether
the changes to the position duties warrant re-evaluation.
- If the position warrants reevaluation, the ITPS coordinator convenes a meeting of the ITPS evaluation committee.
- If the position has not changed significantly since its last review, the ITPS coordinator documents the reasons, files the position description as an update, and notifies the director of information technology and supervisor. No evaluation is required within the IT position evaluation tool.
D. POSITION REVIEW (Employee-Initiated):
When an existing position is being reviewed for a possible reallocation by the employee, the following must be followed:
- An employee who believes their position is improperly classified in the ITPS (or improperly excluded from the ITPS) must complete and sign the classified staff IT position review request-employee form and submit to the human resource office for review by the ITPS coordinator.
- The ITPS coordinator will ensure all necessary documentation is completed by the employee and supervisor, including the supervisor portion o0f the classified staff position review request.
- The ITPS coordinator convenes a meeting of the ITPS evaluation committee.
E. PROCESS FOR EVALUATION:
The process for evaluation must follow the following steps:
- The ITPS coordinator reviews the information for completeness and convenes a meeting
of the ITPS evaluation committee for the following:
- employer requests for reevaluation when the positions job duties have changed significantly; and
- employee-initiated requests for reevaluation.
- Using the IT Evaluator’s Handbook, the committee reviews the position for inclusion. If the ITPS evaluation committee determines the position meets the criteria for inclusion, it is evaluated for placement in the ITPS. Once completed, the ITPS coordinator enters this information into the IT position evaluation tool.
- The ITPS coordinator completes all documentation and notifies the director of information technology, the supervisor and the employee (if applicable) of the ITPS evaluation committee’s decision.
- If it is determined the position is excluded from the ITPS, the content of the position description will be transferred over to the appropriate position description form at the next evaluation cycle, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Employees will be notified of their appeal rights pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement.
F. GLOSSARY OF TERMS
Classified IT Position Description – A form used to document position objectives, assigned work activities, problem solving, decision making, impact and supervisory/managerial responsibilities of IT positions.
IT Position Evaluation Tool – The enterprise application used by the ITPS evaluation committee to record the evaluation of IT positions. Additionally, the IT position evaluation tool is the position history repository that is used for tracking and reporting needs.
ITPS Coordinator – A professional level human resource consultant of the college’s human resources office assigned to administer the ITPS process, who serves as the single point of contact between the college and the Office of Financial Management, State Human Resources Division for all ITPS issues.
ITPS Evaluation Committee – Staff members assigned and formally trained to determine inclusion of IT professional positions and evaluate those positions using the IT Evaluator’s Handbook and the IT position evaluation tool. At Wenatchee Valley College, this committee consists of the college ITPS coordinator and the director of information technology or designee from the college who has comprehensive knowledge of the college’s business. The ITPS coordinator convenes and chairs the committee.
Approved by the president’s cabinet: 4/21/20
Presented to the board of trustees: 5/20/20
Last reviewed: 5/20/23
Policy contact: Human Resources
Related policies and procedures
1454.130 Classified Classified/Reallocation Review Procedure