Any Washington State high school junior or senior can enroll in Running Start, provided they are already registered or register with a Washington public school district.
Due to safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID 19, WVC has closed the testing center until further notice. Because the WritePlacer is not available, WVC has approved the following alternative qualifying measures:
- High school cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher. High school transcript must be emailed to the following: Wenatchee Campus: firstname.lastname@example.org Omak Campus: email@example.com
- PSAT Reading (500 or higher)
- SAT Reading (500 or higher)
- ELA Smarter Balanced Assessment. (3 or 4)
- ACT English (20 or higher)
- ACT Reading (21 or higher)
- AP English score of 4 or 5 (will receive English 101 credit)
- Accuplacer/Writeplacer score of 5 or higher (WVC is not offering Accuplacer at this time)
Math is not a qualifying factor for the program. If a student wants to take a college level math or math-related course, qualifications for enrollment are:
- College-level math placement score (Accuplacer)
- Qualifying score on math Smarter Balanced Assessment (3 or 4) and a grade of C or higher in Algebra 2 or higher at the high school.
The student must make the final decision regarding if they are ready for college-level coursework on a full time or part time basis. Students are encouraged to seek the guidance of their parents, high school counselors, and college personnel while considering Running Start as an option. However, ultimately, it is only the student's decision to pursue this pathway. For more to consider see What to Consider First.
Home School and Private School Students
Home school and private school students must register with a public school district to take advantage of Running Start.