All Wenatchee Valley College students are responsible for understanding and adhering to these network access guidelines and the WVC Acceptable Use policy. If you would like assistance with understanding these guidelines or have any questions on how they apply, please ask for assistance in the Library or Wenatchi Hall Computer Labs.
Students are responsible for the following:
- Log out when done: You are responsible for logging out of computers when you are finished. In order to protect your information and allow others to use the computers, you must log out when done or if you are leaving your computer for an extended period.
- Keep your password safe: When you are first given your credentials, You need to log in and change your password. Be very careful with your credentials. Your account contains a substantial amount of sensitive information. When your credentials are compromised, you are at risk of identity theft. If you have any doubt that your password has been compromised, please change it immediately.
- File Storage: Students are given adequate space to store files related to education and coursework in a semi-private area on the WVC network. These files are accessible from home via virtual desktop. We strongly discourage the use of USB thumb drives.
- Leaving? When you are no longer enrolled, your WVC student account will become unavailable. Please make arrangements to move your data to a source of your choosing prior to leaving school. This also applies to your student email account. Please forward any emails you would like to keep to your personal email address.
- Non WVC related personal, political, copyrighted or otherwise illegal materials: You are responsible for the content of the files in your storage. Copyrighted, illegal, inappropriate, or any file of a personal or political nature are not allowed. Please be mindful of what you store on semi-private networks. In order to audit and enforce the acceptable use policy, information technology has access to review your files.
Applicable WA State Laws:
You should also be familiar with these State of Washington laws which would apply to your college-supported computer use.
Revised Code of Washington (RCW) – Laws enacted by the Washington State Legislature
RCW 9a.52.110 – Computer trespass in the first degree.
RCW 42.52.180 – Use of public resources for political campaigns.
RCW 42.56.070 – Documents and indexes to be made public.
RCW 42.52.160 – Use of persons, money, or property for private gain.
RCW 9.68 – Obscenity and Pornography
RCW 9.68A – Sexual Exploitation of Children