Working from home can be a bit of a transition. Here are some recommendations to make things more workable.
Equipment and Software - Basic Setup Includes:
- Webcam w/microphone
- Headphones or speakers
- Laptop – Most laptops have built-in speakers, camera, and microphone (the following
items are recommended for better productivity)
- Large Monitor
- Software Minimum
- RemotePC for those needing to access resources only available on campus.
- Email: https://outlook.office.com/mail
- Office: https://portal.office.com
- This includes Office Online and the installation files to download Office on personal devices (tablets, laptops, computers).
- Zoom: https://wvc.zoom.us
- Sign In to set up an account.
- Join to participate in a meeting.
- Host to start your meeting.
- Canvas: https://wvc.instructure.com
- Remote Access: https://remotepc.com
- For more information about how to use RemotePC, click here.
- (509) 682-6550
- Computers/Monitors – We don’t have the resources to provide everyone with computers and monitors to take home. We ask that you use your equipment if you have it. Occasionally, when there is a need for accommodation, we can provide certain items. Requests should be approved by your director or dean. Please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
- Webcams/Headphones – We carry some limited stock on these items. These items will be low cost, but adequate to perform for this purpose. Please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
- Document Cameras – We have a low-cost, portable document camera available on the approval of your director or dean. Please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
- Document Scanners – We do not stock these items. These will be special order. Requests should be approved by your director or dean. Please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
- Printers – We do not stock these items and discourage their purchase. These will be special order and special approval. Requests should be made by your director or dean. Please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
- Keyboards and Mics – We have stock available. Please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
- Speakers – We have limited stock available. Please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
- Needs, Issues, Questions - The helpdesk is the first point of contact for every IT need. When you email email@example.com, a ticket is automatically created. This saves us a substantial amount of time and allows us to spend that time on resolutions.
- Purchases - All company purchases of equipment and software should be purchased through the IT helpdesk. We are evaluating and tracking all purchases for COVID-19 reimbursement potential. If you need anything, email the helpdesk. We have many things in stock and are rapidly ordering anything we can find to maintain our stock levels. We also evaluate purchases for network viability and security.
- Library Equipment - We ask that staff refrain from checking out library equipment. We will need this equipment for students in two weeks. Staff should always reach out to IT for equipment resources. Email the helpdesk and we will work with you to solve your needs.
- Communication - We want to make certain that all communications are answered quickly and by the correct resources in IT. Many staff members in IT are receiving emails directly from staff members. Our email volumes have increased dramatically in the past weeks. When you email someone directly, it will most likely be missed and not answered promptly, especially with team members who are ill or on LWOP. Please email the helpdesk and CC the resource. This allows for tracking and followup.
- Escalations - If you are unsatisfied with the resolution or the timeliness of our response, please contact Maureen Bryant or Jason Hetterle so we can work to address your concern and improve our customer service.
Forwarding Your ShoreTel phone to Your Cell phone or Home Phone
Call Forwarding can be enabled from your campus ShoreTel phone. Open up your ShoreTel Communicator and click the ShoreTel icon in the upper left corner -
- Go to "Options", "My Phones"
- Enter the phone numbers you would like to enable call forwarding to
- Click "Okay"
- In the top menu, there are buttons that you use to click that you are "In A Meeting" or "Out of the Office" or "Standard" - to the left of this is a button that has a drop-down, and should say "Primary Phone". You can now choose "Mobile" or "Home" or anything else you may have set up.
- All your calls to your campus phone will now be forwarded to your secondary phone.
Please see our page on changing your Network Password: