Basic Food, Employment and Training Grant
The Basic Food, Employment and Training program (BFET) provides access and services to food stamp recipients in Washington state. Services include job search and job search training, education and skills training, and support services to Basic Food recipients not participating in the state’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program.
Are you receiving basic food assistance (SNAP)? The Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET) program can help you get the training you need for a better paying job and economic security. The program is a partnership between the Department of Social and Health Services, community and technical colleges, and community-based organizations.
Studenty Grants Center staff are mandatory reporters and must report any suspected public benefits fraud (1-800-562-6906), as well children, youth, and family abuse (1-866-363-4276).
You may qualify if:
- You receive or are eligible to receive food assistance, which in Washington state
is called Basic Food. Some people refer to it by the general name "food stamps."
- To see if you qualify/to apply for food assistance, visit WAConnection.org
- You are not receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). People who receive TANF get training through a different program called WorkFirst.
- You or your household is $0 eligible for food benefits, you still may be eligible for the BFET program.
- Personal assessment and career planning.
- Tuition assistance applied to a vocational certificate or non-transfer associate degree. BFET does not apply to transfer degrees or four-year degrees.
- Adult education for foundational skills in reading, writing and math.
- GED® preparation and English language instruction.
- High School 21+ , a new high school completion program for students over age 21.
- Case management.
- Support services for childcare, housing, transportation, clothing, supplies and other job-related expenses.
To Check Eligibilty
If you think you might qualify for the BFET program, please fill out out Interest Survey and one of our staff will get back to you.
If you need questions answered or would like to speak to a Student Grants Center staff, please see the information below or email our department at StudentGrantsCenter@wvc.edu.
Student Benefits Navigator
Workforce Education Grant Coordinator