Default Font Size Icon

Financial Aid for Dreamers

At this time, undocumented students (including those with DACA status) are not eligible for federal aid.  However, Washington state law allows for undocumented students who meet certain criteria to apply and be eligible for state financial aid. This page contains information and helpful tips to assist you in the financial aid process.

Please note:  We want to assure you that in collecting financial aid documentation, we use the information only for the purpose of disbursing financial aid.  Any documentation we receive is kept in our files and is shared only with appropriate staff.

Basic Funding Requirements:

  • Student must complete WASFA or FAFSA, including any requested documentation.  
  • Student must be a Washington Resident, paying in-state tuition rates (check with Admissions office if you are unsure whether you are coded as a Washington resident).
  • Student must meet all funding criteria, including income eligibility and satisfactory academic progress.

Types of State Aid that may be available:

  • Washington State Aid Need Grant (SNG)      **Out of Funds for 2018-2019**

State Need Grant awards are dependent upon available funding. We regret to inform you that we are currently out of State Need Grant funds for the 2018-2019 school year, which runs from Fall 2018 through Summer 2019. The only exception to this is for students that are eligible for College Bound Scholarships.  Please see below if you are a student who may be eligible for College Bound Scholarship.

Apply early for the 2019-2020 school year and follow up with the financial aid office.  

  • College Bound Scholarship

    • Student must have submitted a College Bound Scholarship application in middle school (7th/8th grade). There are NO exceptions to this rule.
    • Student must meet all other CBS criteria, including income eligibility.

  • State Work Study   (must have an employment authorization card and social security card)

    • Student must have a Employment Authorization Card.
    • Student must have a Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration.
    • Student must meet all other eligibility criteria for State Work Study and have been matched to a State Work Study job through our Career Center Services.

  • Scholarships    (*limited funding, additional application*)

    • Student must complete a Scholarship application each year. Please visit our Scholarships page for more information.

  • WVC Funds   (*limited funding, no additional application needed.)   
    • WVC Grant
    • WVC Tuition Waiver

Note:  These awards are usually small amounts, awarded to eligible students until funding is depleted.  If a student is eligible,  these awards will be listed in the award letter.  Due to our packaging philosophy, students with a full State Need Grant award will rarely receive these as part of their award package. 

Helpful Information:

Social Security Number: If you have a social security number that has been issued to you by the Social Security Administration, you should use that number on your FAFSA or WASFA application.  If you receive a letter from us asking if you have a social number or ITIN, please respond, as we need to know this before we can continue processing your application.  

Individual Taxpayer Id Number (ITIN): If you do not have a social security number, but do have an Individual Taxpayer Id Number (ITIN) issue by the IRS for tax purposes, you should use that number on the WASFA (Do not file a FAFSA using an ITIN).  If you receive a letter from us asking if you have a social number or ITIN, please respond, as we need to know this before we can continue processing your application.

Parents with no social security number: This is not a problem.  On the FAFSA, Parents who do not have a social security number issued by the Social Security Administration should put all 0's in the social security field. On the WASFA, they can use ITINs or 0's or leave the field blank.

1079: House Bill 1079 is the state law that allows some students who meet certain criteria to qualify for resident tuition status, and apply for the Washington State Need Grant.

WASFA: Alternate financial aid application for those unable to file a FAFSA.  WVC encourages anyone with a social security number to submit the FAFSA, rather than the WASFA. Regardless of which one you submit, you need to follow up with the WVC financial aid office whenever we send you a letter about your status, as we will not make assumptions about your status and there are additional steps you may need to take prior to being awarded.

DACA: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.  Persons having this status who meet certain criteria can now qualify for resident tuition status and apply for Washington State Need Grant. Additionally, some students who meet other eligibility criteria may be awarded the College Bound Scholarship and/or State Work Study.