Academic Credit for Prior Learning (ACPL)
Academic Credit for Prior Learning (ACPL), formerly known as Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), is the knowledge and skill gained through military training and experience; and formal and informal education and training at in-and out-of-state institutions.
Currently enrolled students may earn college credit when they demonstrate by examination or evaluation that their professional experience or substantial prior learning meets the specific outcomes of a WVC course. Not all courses at WVC are designated appropriate for credit by examination or evaluation and each department determines the evaluation method required for students to demonstrate mastery of the course content. Academic credit for prior learning can be awarded through one of the following options:
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Course Challenge
- DANTES Subject Test (DSST)
- Industry Certification & Licensures
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Military Education and Experience
- Public BI and CTC transfer credit policies (Word)
The following restrictions apply to awarding ACPL credits:
- Students must have 15 WVC transcribed credits with a 2.0 or better GPA to be eligible for academic credit for prior learning (ACPL) consideration.
- There is no assurance that any ACPL credit will be granted.
- ACPL credits cannot duplicate credits that have already been awarded.
- ACPL credit is limited to a maximum of 30 credits required for WVC degrees or certificates. Workforce programs, specifically, are limited to 25% of total credits for degree.
- ACPL credits do not count towards the minimum residency requirement of 33% of degree or certificate credits must be taken at WVC.
- ACPL courses receive a “P” grade and will not affect the GPA except for course challenges which receive a letter grade of “C” (70%) or better and does affect GPA.
- A non-refundable fee application fee of $50 plus $10 per credit attempted must be prepaid for course challenges and (non-cross walked) Industry Certification or Licensure assessment.
- Academic Credit for Prior Learning Application Form
- Course Challenge List
- Prior Learning Assessment Handbook
For further information about process and fees for prior learning credits, contact the WVC ACPL Coordinator at (509) 682-6632.